Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Saying goodbye







Every day I learn a little something new and today it was how to get the pictures with the post. Now that I figured it out I feel kind of silly for not figuring it out sooner. Again I can't thank you enough for your comments.

It is hard to know what words to choose when describing our morning. Our group visited the orphanage today. Faith was raised in a foster family so she did not spend much time there, but it was a very important part of her history. It was a rich experience, one that is very important to document in our minds and hearts for the children's sake but it was nonetheless, a difficult one. They only allowed us to see certain parts of it, and would not allow any pictures to be taken of any children in the home. The first room was difficult to walk into as it was the room for children with medical problems and severe special needs. We also saw the baby room where it was said that the children first go to when they arrive to the orphanage. One of the caretakers was holding Faith for a few minutes for a picture and you could see that look of concern on her face, then Kim stepped in for the picture and Faith said "Mama" and clung to her neck. Rick and Faith had bonded over "Jesus Loves Me" the night before so he carried her around much of the day. As we were leaving the orphanage director leaned in and placed his forehead against Faith's, it was time to say goodbye. It is hard not to be taken with the memory of the children you did see walking the halls there. But I am also encouraged that they reported more than half the children that come into their care go to foster homes as they feel it is better for their physical and emotional health.

After we left the orphanage, we went to the most wonderful museum of sorts. It was a bonsai tree garden and a museum of stones. There was a display of large trees that were millions of years old that had turned to stone. There was a crystal room, and in it was a crystal so large that it weighed many tons. The room was actually built around it. Although it was very hot, it was a beautiful place to visit. The museum was followed up by a lunch in the city. The whole group has been pretty adventurous at trying new things, and I am always glad when I do. The only thing I didn't try today was the fish, as I have a hard time eating a dish that is staring at me. I know, I know...what did I expect! The culture here is just wonderful. I wish I could describe the view from my hotel window. We are on the 17th floor, and as far as the eye can see in every direction you can see skyscrapers. I believe we were told that around 8 million people live in this city! Maybe it's just that I am comfortable with city life or there is a little piece of China is in my soul, all that is to say, it has been such a wonderful experience being here. We have felt safe and excited at every turn. People have been friendly and eager to help. The sights and sounds are fascinating.


On the other hand being here and being with a family during their adoption journey, I often think of the waiting families. I so desire for you to be here, to have this experience. As I know you have a piece of China in your soul, and your daughter is here. I am looking out my window at the lights of the skyscrapers as far as you can see, and praying for you tonight.






5 comments:

D said...

We wish we were there too...but our time will come! It's time for the Zimmers and Adkins...and we couldn't be happier! Continue with the wonderful journey!

Strickland Family said...

Dear Rachael,
What a joy to wake up each morning and see what you have experienced that day! China does grab your heart and never let go. It is hard to explain to someone who has not been there how safe and "at home" you feel among the precious Chinese people. After every adoption trip, I feel this deep longing to return again. We will miss you when we are at Buckner on Friday!
With much love,
All the Stricklands :)

A said...

Rachael--I am so pleased that your experience has impacted you the way it has....what an interesting perspective that you will bring to the work you do now that you have walked the path of adoptive families--gaining a birds eye view so to speak. May this trip ignite a greater fire of passion for the incredible work you do. Blessings on you.

larrywelch said...

Rachael,
These are great photos and stories. Thanks for sharing the experience with us. We're praying for you.

Larry, Sue and Liz Welch

Suz said...

Rachael, I'm so happy that you decided to keep this blog as you travel with these families during these most important days.

I believe it truly will give you a new perspective on the process and what the parents and children experience in the first days of becoming a family.

Susie Yarbrough