Monday, July 16, 2007

Life in Guangzhou





Now that all the families are back together and finishing things up at the US Embassy, it has been a wonderful time to catch up, hear stories, and celebrate milestones in the life of each child that have occured in just these few short days. Because so many Americans come to this area with their adopted children, the area is very "Westernized". Shops line the streets with just the right items to by to capture the time spent here, and there is a Starbucks right around the corner. When we walked in to get our coffee this morning we all said "it smells just like home!". The area reminds me of Savannah GA, or somewhere in New Orleans as it is by the water and has colonial like stucco buildings. I do wish I had better pictures that capture the essence of it. Although there is something very comforting and familiar about it, I am glad we had such a rich experience of Chinese culture in Wuhan. I thought I would just post some pictures of our time here...medical appointments, filling out embassy paperwork, playing and going to church. Although I have been lugging my camera around I have missed many moments I now wish I could share with you.






6 comments:

Beth said...

Starting my morning ritual by reading your blog and prayer for all of you. Hope your adventures were exciting and restful as you explored. Love the latest pictures. The parent's hand signing the documents to make it official is powerful. Delightful to talk to you yesterday, in all of this I have realized how much I love having you a phone call away and how much I say "oh I have to call Rach and tell her..." Know that you are loved very much!!! Hugs, B

D said...

Another great post and other great photos...it's always so good to see your stuff each morning. Glad things continue to go well...and that you get some Starbucks!

A said...

Rachael--drinking my coffee and checking out your adventures--pretty much how I have started my mornings since you've been gone. I am sure that it has been great to meet up with all of the families again. Glad you had a chance to worship while in China. I am always humbled when I attend a worship in another country. I hope you had a great day for your birthday. Blessings.

Kris said...

I love the moments you have captured with your camera! The one of Easton and Lili...WOW! How incredibly sweet! Continuing to pray for you as you finish up this journey.

Strickland Family said...

Hi Ssweet Rachael,
Happy, happy, late birthday! We can't wait to see you and all of the wonderful pictures of your trip. We missed you so much when we went to Buckner this weekend. The good thing about monthly visits is that we get to see you more often! My morning reading is not going to be as fun now that you and the Zimmers won't be posting something new everyday:) We love you!
Randy, Mary, and all the M's

Katherine said...

OH, MY! My great attempts to mark the Big Rachael-Birthday in huge letters on my calendar seems to have been in vain...for I have written that Monday, the 16th is the special day. Sorry I missed wishing you happiness yesterday! Just looking at your pictures has made me cry. Now I am going to read your amazing writings. You are a truly original, powerful, and beloved woman of Christ. Talk to you very soon! Love, Katherine